Navratri is that time of the year when almost all Indians go into the festive mode. In fact, Navratri is the festival that marks the beginning of series of festivals like Dussehra and Diwali. However, there are only certain types of food which one can savour during this period. But no worries! We bring to you five of the delicious Navratri dishes that you can savour during this festive season!
1. Sabudana Khichdi
- 1 cup sabudana (sago)
- 1/2 cup peanuts
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1 tbsp jeera (cumin seeds)
- 3-4 sabut lal mirch (red chilli)
- Some curry leaves (kadhi patta)
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves
- 1 tsp green chillies
- And 1 tbsp lemon juice
Image Courtesy: Ruchi’s Kitchen
- Give a thorough wash to the sabudana. After this, keep it soaked up in the water for over an hour or so.
- Drain out excess water and spread sabudana evenly over a cloth to avoid lumps.
- Now to this, mix some peanuts and chilli powder, and then add salt to taste.
- In a container, heat some ghee and then add some jeera, mirch and curry leaves and heat up this mixture well.
- When it’s off the heat, pour some lemon juice on it for an amazing flavour.
- Finally, garnish the sabudana khichdi and serve it hot!
2. Makhana Kheer
- 1-litre milk
- 1/4th cup makhana (puffed lotus seeds)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons pistachios (chopped)
- 2 tsp almonds
- 1 tsp green cardamom powder
Image Courtesy: Milkmaid
- Pour some milk in a bowl and to it, add some crushed pieces of makhana.
- Let it boil at low heat for around 2 hours to make the makhana seeds softer.
- To it, add some sugar and mix well.
- Now add all the dry fruits to the mixture and give it a nice whirl.
- And as you know, serve the kheer hot or cold as per your liking!
3. Banana Kebab
- 250gm raw bananas, peeled and diced
- 1 black elaichi (black cardamom)
- 1/4th cup kuttu ka atta
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 green chilli
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander
- Desi ghee
Image Courtesy: Foodwhirl
- We start with steaming the bananas, the ginger and the elaichi.
- This needs to be cooked with very little water and then we get this mix to cool off for a bit.
- After that, we mash up the soft bananas and add all the rest of the ingredients mentioned above to it.
- Mix well so that it has a good consistency.
- Now comes the fun part, where you get to shape the dough into cylindrical pieces and spray some kuttu ka atta on it.
- Lastly, heat some ghee to fry the previously made kebabs. Don’t keep the heat too high, just slightly to give it a nice brown coating.
- And this tasty dish is ready to serve.
4. Suran (Yam) Khichdi
- 200 grams suran
- 2 cups water with a pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp peanut oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin/sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup peanuts coarsely ground
- Cinnamon stick
- 2 cloves
Image Courtesy: The Secret Ingredient
- In a pan, heat some oil and to it, add cumin seeds.
- For a better seasoning, add sesame seeds till they pop.
- Crush some peanuts and add them to the pan.
- In a separate bowl, grate some suran, and add it to the mixture with a pinch of salt.
- Let it cook for a while, and keep mixing it.
- Crush cinnamon pieces and cloves into a fine powder and add it to the suran.
- Lastly, add sugar, lemon juice, coconut oil and coriander leaves for the finishing touches and this incredible dish is prepared!
5. Sweet Potato Chat
- 1 cup sweet potatoes boiled, peeled and cubed
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp black chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp roasted cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
Image Courtesy: Tasting Table
- This is one of the easiest and tastiest recipes in the list and we start with putting the cubed sweet potato to a bowl.
- To this mix, add salt, pepper, cumin seeds and red chilli powder.
- Squeeze out some fresh lemon juice over it to give it a refreshing flavour.
- The whole mixture should be mixed well and placed in a serving bowl.
- And there, it’s done.
So what are you all waiting for? Navratris are just around the corner, and there is so much preparation which needs to be done. These five dishes are easy to prep and the most delicious of all and we want you to be able to taste all of them. And trust us, it would hardly take a lot of your time but you would surely get complimented for these commendable dishes throughout the year. We would love to bring you a plethora of other recipes too, but till then go try these ones out!